Thursday 30 December 2010

Did you know?: Skin

OK, so I get the feeling that you fellas out there are interested in information about skin. So I've listed some skin facts below. I also learn quite a few new things from this ;) Let's get nerdy!

Did you know:

  1. That your skin is considered as the largest organ of your body? (Holy moly, I didn't know that, I didn't even know skin could be considered as an organ, I'm such a smartass)
  2. The skin on your eyes is the thinnest? So be careful with the skin (and your eyes!) because that skin is so vulnerable :o, treat your eyes with eye cream (yay!) and try to not rub, even though it's freaking difficult when your eye itches like hell, but try to think: "If I rub, my eyes will swell up like hell" or if you have contact lenses: "If I rub, my contacts will fall out  >_<" ;)
  3. Goose bumps are actually small pimples that help your body retain a layer of warm air? I knew that goose bumps were to help your body retain some warmth (though I don't feel a thing, still very cold with goose bumps) but I didn't know they could be considered as pimples? (am I stupid :'))
  4. After you take a very hot shower (it's wintertime, understandable that you want to take a hot shower, I guess), the red parts on your skin, are actually first-grade burns? (you get what I mean?) Luckily I never take a hot shower, never. I'm an eco-girl :3 (yay) and I don't torture my skin by burning them ;)
  5. Your skin is made out of a protein called keratin? Keratin is also found in your hair and nails.
  6. The skin of an average adult weighs 9 lbs/4.1 kg and is about 21 sqft/1.95 m big
  7. That your body odour is caused by bacteria eating and digesting fatty compounds? OH YEAH! ...
  8. That your breasts are a modified version of your apocrine sweat glands? (glands that give you that nice body odour >_<)
  9. 50.000 cells fall off your skin every minute? (don't notice a thing xd)
  10. The white skin appeared 20.000-50.000 years ago, because dark-skinned people migrated to colder cities and their skin lost a lot of its melanin pigment (melanin gives you your skin colour and is found in the epidermis, I think?)
(lol, this reminds me of biology in first form >.<)

Hehe, I feel like a biology expert now (not...) I do remember I had to study some skin things for biology once, guess I forgot all about that, except for the fact that your skin has 3 major layers and I knew that there was an epidermis and a dermis...

You fellas are all skin nerds now. Muahuahua! 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...